What is the best program for weight loss?

Patient

Q: Hello im 14 and weigh 290 and im 5feet and 8 inches im tryin to loss 132 pound what program should I use?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question and congratulations on wanting to lose weight. It is one of the best things you can do for your health in terms of preventing many chronic diseases, such as heart disease and diabetes.

There is no single best weight loss program out there. But there are some general rules of thumb we we suggest to follow:

1. Try to eat as 'clean' as possible. What we mean by this is to eat as many green leafy vegetables, with moderate amount of lean protein, with complex carbohydrates every day.

2. Cut out or drastically reduce the ingestion of processed foods, and sweetened drinks like pop or juice.

3. Commit to a daily workout plan that involves at least 40 minutes of cardiovascular exercise such as walking, running, or swimming.

4. If you can afford it, consult a personal trainer who will track you progress, encourage you and show you how to properly exercise for maximum results.

5. Be consistent, if you want lose over 150lbs, it will take a long time. You have to be in this for the long-haul. Try not focus on losing the weight, focus on changing your lifestyle to a more healthy and active one. The end result of this is a better looking, healthier body, and yes, you would have lost considerable weight.

6. Note that healthy weight-loss is around 1-2lbs a week.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com