What is the cause of pain after sex?

Patient : What would cause a pain in the lower abdomen or vaginal area after having sex?
Doctor :   Lower abdominal and vaginal pain after sex could indicate cystitis caused due to mechanical irritation of the urethra af ter sex. Changing your sexual position to one where there is less pressure on the front of the vagina and remembering to empty your bladder immediately after sexual activity is a good idea. If your symptoms worsen, consider seeing your doctor for an internal examination and urinalysis. You might also like to ask your doctor about the possibility of sperm allergy as it has been known for a partner's sperm to irritate a woman's vagina.