What is the Cause of Sore Breasts?

Q: Hello, i have this pain on my left breast that bother me a lot. at first i thought its because my period will come but it's been a week and it still give me a burning pain especially when it moves. i also checked my breast for a possible bump but i dont feel anything.

A:   It is very common for women to experience some tenderness and swelling of the breasts 1 or 2 weeks prior to menstruation. This has to do with the hormonal changes that are occurring in the body mid cycle, and it is not generally something that you need to worry about, and the symptoms generally improve once your menstruation actually begins. There are several more benign possibilities that could cause breast soreness. For example, this could be an improperly fitting bra (either too tight or too loose). If you think this might be a possibility, you might want to visit a store that can help you properly fit a bra. Improper bra fittings are common in people who have recently lost or gained weight. Another possibility would be fibrocystic breast changes. These are changes in the breasts that cause intermittent soreness as well as a 'ropy' texture to the deep breast tissue. Although fibrocystic breast changes often cause soreness that cycles with the menstrual period, this is not always the case. If you find that the tenderness and swelling are becoming bothersome to you, there are a few simple things you can try. First of all, many women will taken an over the counter anti inflammatory medication like ibuprofen, which is often the only treatment that is need. It is also helpful to avoid caffeine and alcohol, which will make the tenderness worse. Eating a diet low in salt and processed foods may help prevent water retention, which will help the breast swelling. Furthermore, making sure to get plenty of rest and exercise can be of help. If these simple strategies do not work, then you will want to set up a visit with your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor.