Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > What is the cause of the bleeding and why is it happening

What is the cause of the bleeding and why is it happening

Patient: Hello me and my partner use plan b one step and know she is bleeding a week later and I want to know what it can be she is not suppose to for another 2 weeks

Symptoms: Bleeding and cramps

Doctor: Hello,If she has taken plan-b , the emergency contraception, then the withdrawal bleed after 7 days was expected and its natural . The bleeding has happened within 7 days as it was supposed to be. It has nothing to do with her due dates . THE PRESENT WITHDRAWAL BLEEDING DATE become her fresh LMP and her next menses shall ensue only after a month now after this withdrawal bleed.The bleed ensures that she is pregnancy safe .I hope i have answered your query in detail,wishing you safe sexual practices ,regards