Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > What is the half life of sodium salicylate? When would

What is the half life of sodium salicylate? When would

Patient: What is the half life of sodium salicylate? When would this be completely eliminated from the body in a patient who wasn’t compromised hepatically or renally? Im asking specifically as a component of the medication Cystex, which I took around 11pm, then took Cipro about 12 hours later for a diagnosed uti. Im worried about the interactions between the two medications.

Doctor: HelloThanks for using “Ask The Doctor” for posting your query.Salicylic acid has a half life of 3.5 to 4 hours. Mostly after this the levels in the body fall significantly. Hence if you have taken cipro after 12 hours of taking cystex then it is safe and there are no expected interaction.However coming to the efficacy of ciprofloxacin, it should not be taken with salicylate as it reduces the efficacy of ciprofloxacin. Salicylate makes the “ciprofloxacin sensitive” bacteria “ciprofloxacin resistant” and hence the infection may require a higher antibiotic. Not to worry if it was a single interaction, but try to avoid taking both these medicines together.Also take plenty of water to flush out the urine.Hope this helps,In case if you have any further question or clarification do let me know.Wish you a good health.