What is the normal urine creatinine level?

Patient

Q: I need help understanding creatinine levels. My 16yr old had a urine test done recently and the creatinine 266.8 mg dL. Is this normal?

Doctor

A:   Yes, it is normal. Creatinine is a substance in the blood that is filtered by the kidney and thrown into the urine; in other words, its level in the blood should be low (normal range is 0.5-1.5mg/dL) while its level in the urine is high (40-300mg/dL). However, urine creatinine is a very crude measurement of kidney function; this value is often used as a part of a panel of tests to assess kidney function. I do hope I have answered your question and take care always.