Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > What is the possibilty of being pregnant and just finishing my period?

What is the possibilty of being pregnant and just finishing my period?

Patient: What is the possibilty of being pregnant and just finishing my period? I recently had un-protected sex, I am not currently on amy birthcontrol. My breast is sore and I was feeling sick this morning after eating breakfast. Should I be concerned?

Doctor: I understand your concern of possibly becoming pregnant. The possibility of this in your case depends if you were ovulat ing at the time you had sex.According to your story, you were finishing your period the day you had intercourse. This will decrease the chances of getting pregnant especially if you are regular, the soreness of your breast and morning sickness could be normal during the middle of your monthly period due to the estrogen peak.If you had sex one week after your first day of menstruation, the possibilities of non pregnancy increase, after that there will be an increase of it. If you feel sick and suspect that you might be pregnant or you just want to make sure and rule it out, my recommendation will be for you to take a pregnancy test a week after you had sex, if it is negative and you will like to avoid it in the future, you can ask your health provider for contraceptive methods information. I am sure they will kindly explain and recommend the best one for you. I wish you the best.