Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > What is the risk to my child if I drink during pregnancy

What is the risk to my child if I drink during pregnancy

Patient: I am 28 weeks pregnant and have had a terrible time since I have found out which has lead me to drink on many occasions. once every week or two, I have finallly come to my senses and stopped but I am so worried I have damaged the baby. Is there any way I can find out or is there anything I can do to boost the baby’s health from now until the birth?

Doctor: Drinking during pregnancy may lead to the development of fetal alcohol syndrome in your baby. The child may have problem s with growth and difficulties in learning and behaviour. Though there has been no study that shows how much alcohol is needed to harm the baby, it is essential to stop taking alcohol during pregnancy. The only way to find out if there is something wrong with the baby is by doing routine ultrasounds and monitoring the growth of the baby. CT and MRI after the child is born will also help in the diagnosis.