Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > What is the severity of having a BMI of 157?

What is the severity of having a BMI of 157?

Patient: What is the severity of having a BMI of 15.7? I am 19 years old, 5’6″, and I weigh 97 pounds.

Doctor: Hi.I can understand that your BMI of 15.7 is lower than the lowest limit of normal of 1,5 meaning you are underweigh t.You need to get your BMI of minimum 18.5.I think you should consult your Physician first to have clinical evaluation and investigations to find whether there is any factor/disease responsible for low BMI.If all the factors are normal, then you have to consult a Dietitian to get a diet chart and follow this to get corrected the BMI.This is possible and not that difficult, barring the genetic factor.Hope this helps you.