What is the treatment for Chlamydia or Gonorrhea

Q: I was recently diagnosed by my doctor of 12 years with a urinary tract infection. I am 45 years old and I have been married for 20 years. I haven't had sex with anyone but my wife since married. I have had urinary tract infections before...2 or 3 times spanning twenty years. I was told on at least one occasion that I had chlamydia. I didn't ask for an std test this time and my doctor prescribed Ciproflaxacin 500mg 2 times a day for 14 days. If I have chlamydia or gonorrhea would the prescription knock it out?

A:   Ciprofloxacin may probably treat the chlamydia but may not be helpful if you have gonorrhea. I would suggest testing for std and treat accordingly. Also you may need to treat your partner because of the risk of recurrent infection.