What is this sore spot on my tongue?

Patient : I have a sore spot on top my tongue that comes and goes, not an open sore but more of a spot with swollen taste buds and a burnt or numb feeling with soreness. been healing up and coming back in the same spot for about 3 months. is this an STD? could HPV do this to the top of a tongue? please help. I have pictures as well if needed.
Symptoms:  Discomfort, soreness, red spot on tongue.
Doctor :   Thanks for your question. It could be Canker sores caused by HSV 1. HPV causes genital herpes warts. Mild uncomplica ted eruptions of herpes simplex require no treatment. Severe infection may require treatment with an antiviral agent. Hope it helps.