What other tests can be performed to determine severe Iron deficiency anemia with bleeding?

Patient : I have severe Iron deficency anemia for over two years and had a heart attack in 2010. What other tests besides upper endoscopy, colonoscopy, capsule endoscopy,nuclear med. study of small intestine? can be performed to determine where im bleeding from? fibroids have been ruled out as well. I currently get Iron therapy by IV. My hemoglobin has been as low as 3 but presently its at 9.1. About every 6 months Im back in the hospital for more transfusions except in Nov and Dec in 2011 was there twice for 3 units each. I have no active bleeding ulcer and all other tests have been negative.Is this a condition that will always be there or is it possible to find a bleed?
Doctor :   This question is currently in queue and will be answered shortly by one of our doctors. In the meantime you may browse our library of answered questions by clicking here.

Related Q&A

Q: Anemia from mercaptopurine and mesalamine interaction. Iron saturation normal. Other iron level drop. Condition not i...

Q: Hello, I recently noticed that my nails have no moon and that they have a somewhat of a paleness white area to them f...

Q: I have blood clots in my leg at the top of the thigh in the femoral artery. I also have the factor 5 .I was put on X...

Q: 4.5 years ago, after my 3rd child was born, I had massive blood loss and needed an iron infusion. I had a slight alle...

Q: So I recently found out my ferritin was low only because my hair started to fall out. Every year I go for a blood te...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon