What risks are there if I have a pituitary adenoma

Patient

Q: What risks are there if I have a pituitary adenoma and I am pregnant? I was having severe nausea, vomiting and shortness of breath. And i continue to have dizziness, faintness and feeling lightheaded. I have yet to see a Dr. as I am only 2 months pregnant.

Doctor

A:   Hi,

Treatment options of pituitary adenoma depend on the type of tumor, severity of symptoms etc.
Type of the tumor can be diagnosed by doing MRI, serum prolactin levels estimation etc.
But usually MRI is not advisable in the first trimester of pregnancy.
In case of prolactinoma, you may need treatment with dopamine receptor agonists like cabergoline.
If your symptoms increase in severity, termination of the pregnancy may be needed.

Please discuss these things with your doctor and follow her advice.
Take care.