What should be my goal in losing weight?

Patient

Q: I am a 20 year old guy and I am overweight. I want to do something about it and I have a friend who is currently giving me advice on how to correct my diet. However, the thing that seems to be stopping me most is that I am unable to imagine what the realistic end result will be or can be. Is it possible for someone to go from being overweight to classically slim, by putting in hard work and eating right? or is it more realistic to expect just being slightly slimmer, maybe achieving a a few inches off my waist? Thanks

Doctor

A:   It is really up to you if you want to shed just a few pounds or achieve something more which will have countless benefits. I would suggest for you, though, maintain a healthy weight. The basal metabolic index is used as a tool to assess weight for height. The normal BMI should be between 18-25. This can be calculated by knowing your height in meters and your weight in kg. The formula is kg/m2. For example, weight = 78kg, height = 1.96m, the BMI is 20.3. If you do know your weight and height, try to compute it. Your short term goal is reaching a BMI of 25 or less. Your long term goal is maintaining it. I know it will take a lot of discipline and hard work to lose weight but maintaining a healthy weight will not only have physical benefits, it will also boost your self-esteem. Exercising will also help a whole lot in losing weight. I do believe it is possible for someone who is overweight to slim down but like I said, maintaining a healthy weight is key; too skinny is not good too. I do hope I have answered your question and take care always.