What should I do about ADD, and what will happen?

Patient: Lately this past year, I have been having a hard time concentrating in school and my grades have dropped and I’m dazing off a lot. I struggle a lot like in intense situations and never thought of treating myself. I brought it up to my parents and they just brushed it off. Do you think I should go when I’m 18 and see what they suggest?

Symptoms: Dazing off, Can’t focus that good, Daydream.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for choosing “Ask The Doctor” for posting your query.You need not wait until 18 and the sympt oms that you have mentioned suggest that you could be suffering from attention deficit disorder. If treated this can improve your efficacy a lot and you will be able to put in more amount of effort. Waiting further is not going to solve the problem and further repeated failures can land you up in depression which can complicate the treatment of ADD further. Do seek help. Methylphenidate and adderall are good drugs for the treatment of ADD and generally have to be given for a long period. Do meet your doctor and get these medicines prescribed.Hope I am able to answer your concerns.Wish you good health!