Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > What should I take for a migraine

What should I take for a migraine

Patient: What should I take for a migraine

Doctor: Welcome to Ask The Doctor.We are here to help you on this medical platform.If you are suffering from Migraine Hea daches, you should be started on medicines for the prophylaxis of migraine. You have not mentioned the pattern of your headache, as you have to be sure that the headache is due to Migraine. So, I will brief you about the pattern of Migraine headaches. Migraine headaches are usually unilateral, associated with throbbing, vomiting sensations, irritability, intolerance to lights and sounds. A person who has migraine wants to sit in dark and doesn’t like anyone to speak to anyone or talk.So, if you have these symptoms then probably you have Migraine. Migraine headaches are precipitated by light, sounds, sleep deprivation, illness, medicines.Once we are sure that the person has migraine, we start our patient on Migraine prophylaxis. If you are on Migraine prophylaxis, slowly, your severity and frequency of attacks would reduce and a time will come, when you will have almost no attacks. Drugs are decided based on the frequency, the severity of the headache. Sleep disturbances are also kept in consideration.For Migraine prophylaxis most commonly used drugs like Flunarizine, Propanolol, Amitriptyline. In case of acute pain Triptans like Sumatriptan, Rizatriptan are used. In case of acute pain not responding to Triptans, we use pain killer NSAIDs like Diclofenac.You also need to modify your lifestyle. You should sleep at least 8 hours in the night, that too daily in a fixed time slot. Avoid sleeping in the day time, as if you sleep in the day, you will have difficulty in falling asleep on time in the night and the whole cycle of peaceful sleep would get disturbed. Avoid alcohol especially beer, caffeine, lemon, cheese in the diet.You need to follow these lifestyle modifications for the purpose of getting rid of medications after a few months course. People who modify their lifestyles, usually get rid of medications after 6 months course.Share my opinion with your doctor and get treated. If you have any further query, please feel comfortable to discuss with me.Get Well Soon.Stay Healthy