What steps do I need to take to be prescribed

Patient

Q: What steps do I need to take to be prescribed for penicillin ?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

Penicillin is a very important drug and a boon to mankind. But it is also a dangerous drug because it causes an allergic reaction more commonly compared to other drugs. To get prescribed with penicillin, you first need a disease that needs treatment with penicillin.

To avoid pharmacological abuse, I cannot tell you the exact diseases that need penicillin but I can tell you the indications to some extent:
Penicillin is a anti-bacterial drug. It kills some bacteria and is used as an antibiotic. Thus, it is used for treating bacterial infections.
However, very few diseases use penicillin for the treatment. They usually use a drug from the penicillin group.

To get prescribed penicillin, your Doctor will first ask you for history of any drug allergy to penicillin or penicillin group or any other drug. Then, he will order a allergen test (usually skin prick) to check for the allergy. If negative, you can start on the tablet. The last possibility is a delayed reaction occurring about 72 hours later. In this case, you will have to stop the medication and rush to the ER.

One more test done is to check the bacteria infecting you to see if it is resistant to penicillin. If resistant, then the medication is modified and stronger antibiotics are given.

Hope this answered your query. All the best.