What this rough bump next to my toenail is and how do I treat it?

Q: I have a bump next to my toenail and I have no idea what it is. I've had it for a month, and it has yet to disappear. Most of it is next to the toenail, while a small part of it is under. The bump does not hurt when left alone, but if pressure is applied, then it does hurt. It also has a rough texture.

What this rough bump next t...-1

A:   Thank you for question. This bump appears to be either a callous or a wart. Callouses on the toes are caused by friction of the toe within shoes. If this is the case then it can be removed with a pumice stone, which abrades the area gradually to remove the callous. If this is a wart, a more invasive treatment such as using wart removal medication or surgical excision by a doctor may be required. These warts are caused by the HPV virus. When they are successfully removed, it is unlikely that they will regrow. We recommend that you have your doctor examine your foot to determine what would be the best approach for removing this lesion.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com