What to do in times of this foot injury without a doctor

Patient

Q: If a beer bottle or hammer is dropped forcefully or smashed on the arch of your foot, what will happen, when will it happen, and what should you do?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. There could be a range of injuries that can occur from blunt force trauma to the arch of the foot. If the injury is superficial such as cuts, bruising, swelling pain, it can be treated conservatively by employing proper first aid wound care techniques in washing the area with clean water and applying a sterile dressing to prevent infection. In more severe cases, one may need suturing of deeper lacerations or would need to undergo x-rays to determine if there any broken bones. In such severe cases, it is important to seek medical attention immediately.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com