What to do to alleviate shoulder pain

Q: My shoulder hurts really bad..like 9/10. I have no idea what started it but it began 1 week ago and has been gradually getting worse. I have tried magnesium, Advil, ice,heat, massage and various pain rubs without relief. Laying down does not help and it keeps me awake/wakes me up. Advil only takes it down to about 6/10. It radiates down my left arm, into my neck and the whole shoulder blade hurts. Turn my head hurts but I can move it as well as my arm/shoulder. The pain is very sharp and it even hurt to take a deep breath. What else could I do?

Symptoms:  Sharp, severe shoulder pain that radiates into arm, neck and under shoulder blade. The whole shoulder hurt, front and back. Hurts to turns head or breathe deeply

A:   Hello
Thank you posting your query on ATD.
I understand that your shoulder hurts which radiates to left arm; also there is pain in your neck. Pain increases with little movements.
It is important that we determine what is causing your shoulder pain before even starting any type of treatment.
As pain is with movements it appears that it may be more of the muscular strain and spasm. Such type of pain is relived usually with bed rest and painkillers.
In case of cervical spondylosis also the picture may match with your symptom.
There is another possibility of periarthritis of shoulder joint.
For above two conditions heat therapy and physiotherapy are usually helpful.
Most importantly we must exclude cardiac pain like angina before engaging on muscles and joints.
You are advised to consult your doctor who may take proper history, examine, do the necessary investigations to rule out cause of such symptoms and may advise you proper treatment.