What to know about food with alcohol

Patient

Q: When on Norco 325-10 4 times a day from back surgery. is it ok to eat cake that has vanilla extract in the cream that was not cook and vanilla extract has alcohol in it 51% and 2 teaspoons are in it.?

Symptoms:  Upset gut and feel hot
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is not recommended to ingest any alcohol while on strong analgesic medications such as Norco. We do not recommend that you consume any alcohol while taking this medication. Failure to do so can exacerbate the effects of this medication such as drowsiness and confusion. Please be guided accordingly.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com