Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > What type of infection is that?

What type of infection is that?

Patient: I’m 16 yr old. My vulva and clitoris itching and there is white substance inside my opening. And it’s burning while urinating. What is going on with me???

Symptoms: itching, burning while urinating, white cheesy substance

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is likely that you have a Candida infection. This is commonly known as a yeast infection . It produces a white “cheese-like’ discharge, similar to your description. Sometimes this infection can get into your urethra, and bladder, causing a urinary tract infection (UTI). This UTI will produce the symptom of bladder discomfort, pain, and a burning sensation while urinating. To treat this, you need to be examined by a doctor and provided with the appropriate prescription medication, and use it as directed. These infections usually resolve with treatment without complications.Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com