Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > What would cause a wet cough that produces yellowish phlegm

What would cause a wet cough that produces yellowish phlegm

Patient: What would cause a wet cough that produces yellowish phlegm and a fever that only comes on at night? I have no other symptoms other than the persistent cough that keeps me awake some nights. I have had this for a week now. At times the coughing is so bad it makes me out of breath.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.It looks like the cough could be an acute bronchitis associated cough. It can be second arily infected with a virus or bacteria causing a yellow sputum. Asthma or allergic cough also causes symptoms at night associated with breathlessness. The other causes could be tuberculosis,pulmonary edema, pneumonia, etc.Kindly consult a pulmonologist for an examination, chest x-ray, blood and sputum investigations.Keep away from known allergens like pets, pollen and perfumes. Make sure you keep your mouth and nose covered when you are exposed to dust and dirt. Drink boiled and cooled water. Avoid chilled food and beverages.You might need a course of antibiotics and an expectorant syrup to control the cough. Inhalers may help in case of allergic asthma or acute bronchitis. Use a high pillow and sleep in a propped-up position for relief from cough at night.Hope this helped.Regards