Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > What’s biting me? Scabies?

What’s biting me? Scabies?

Patient: I have bites all over. When I say all over I mean one in between the webbing on my right hand, one on the back of my right leg, one on my left ankle, one on my left side of my abdomen, one on my back. They all look like mosquito bites and I am not super concerned with them. What is concerning me is on my upper left arm I have a tattoo and the entire tattoo feels as if it has bug bits around it and there are parts where the tattoo is feels wavy. Nobody else in my house including my wife and newborn who sleep in the same bed have any bites. What could be biting me? The tattoo isn’t recent it is several years old so it isn’t that

Symptoms: itching, several bite but all spread out that look like mosquito bites, itching is moderate, wavy lines and bites all clustered around my tattoo.

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is difficult for us to determine what type of insect bits or rash you are experiencing b ased on your description. If you provided us with a photo of the affected areas we would have been able to direct you a lot better. It is possible that your condition is being caused by insect bits such as scabies, but if this was the case, it would be highly likely that your family will have similar symptoms. It could be possible that you are experiencing an allergic reaction to an allergen in your environment. This is referred to contact dermatitis. We recommend that you have the area examined by your doctor to determine the actual cause of this skin condition. We would encourage you to try your level best not to scratch the area too much to prevent breakage of the skin and bleeding. If you choose, you may apply some non-fragranced, hypoallergenic lotion to the affected areas to help relieve some of the itching while await evaluation by your doctor.Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com