What's causing my bladder control problems?

Patient

Q: For about a year I've been struggling with re-occuring bladder infections and UTIS. For a while I was struggling with every symptom of (PID) such as: frequent urination, pain during urination, painful periods, burning while urinating, back pain, pain during intercourse and bleeding between periods. Because of those symptoms I was sent to get an ultra sound. They noticed I had a tilted uterus. I was refered to a gynecologist shortly after. About a month later I was diagnosed with Pelvic Inflamatory Disease (PID) caused from a case of clyamidia that went untreated. I was treated and cleared from PID for a month but now I'm having bladder problems I've never had such as: Having the urge to pee and having to run to the bathroom, and i've been wetting to bed which is very unusual. Also pelvic pain. Could this be caused from my tilted uterus? Will I need surgery? Did the scar tissue from the PID cause my tilted uterus?

Symptoms:  Pelvic pain, frequent urination, wetting to bed
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. You are experiencing urinary incontinence. One reason for this is probably due to the 1 month long bout of PID that went undiagnosed. Your bladder is still healing at this moment and it will be at least a few weeks before things return to normal. Different positions of the uterus may put extra pressure on the bladder as well resulting in incontinence as well. A retroverted uterus, extends over the bladder and can press on it, resulting in the symptoms you are experiencing. Depending on the severity of your symptoms you may or may not require surgical intervention. You will need to undergo a thorough assessment by your gynecologist to determine this. Since you had PID for a month, you would indeed have developed some scar tissue, but whether this is causing your tilted uterus or incontinence is hard to determine. A follow up ultrasound will need to be conducted in order to determine this. Please see your gynecologist to be reassessed.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com