Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > What’s eating the exterior of my hands ?

What’s eating the exterior of my hands ?

Patient: When I come home from college, I stay with my parents. We live in a 2 bedroom bottom floor apartment. No matter where I sleep, on the couch or in my room, I wake up with itchy/hurting welts on my hands in the mornings. What could be going on with me?(I can provide pictures via email)

Symptoms: Itching bumps, painful when scratched

Doctor: Thank you for your question.It is possible that your home is infested with an insect called bed bugs. They live withi n the fabric of your bed, sofa’s, and linens, and when you sleep at night, they feed on your blood. This results in a itchy, red, swollen rash which could become infected if you scratch too much. We recommend that you go to your doctor to have these bites examined. You will be prescribed some antiinflammatory cream in to reduce the itching and swelling. You will also need to contact a an exterminator to treat your hose for bed bugs. Please be guided accordingly.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com