Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > What’s safe after taking misoprostol?

What’s safe after taking misoprostol?

Patient: I was given misoprostol 3 days ago and my doctor confirmed that the pregnancy was gone this morning, but I am still bleeding. Is it safe to use tampons now, and when will I be able to have sex again?

Symptoms: Symptoms: light bleeding

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the queryThere will be some amount of bleeding, up to one week after a termination with misoprostol . The bleeding will eventually come down and stop, in case it prolongs and gets heavier you will have to report this to the doctor.You can use sanitary pads instead of tampons for now as it may cause infection.Also, you can have sex after 15 days, avoid it until your bleeding stops completely. by doing so , you are going to minimize the trauma to the vagina and prevent infectionsHope this helped.Regards