Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > What’s wrong with my ankle?

What’s wrong with my ankle?

Patient: I hurt my ankle on Wednesday playing soccer. I rolled my ankle outward putting all my weight on my left ankle, and I heard a loud crack or pop as it happened. That day I couldn’t put any weight on that foot without pain. Also, I cannot rotate my ankle and it hurts to use the stairs. However I can walk on my foot without much pain. After using the RICE method for the past couple days and taking some pain relievers, the swelling hasn’t gone down any, and it is red and bruising. The bruising is on both the inside and outside of my ankle. Also it is partially on the top left side of my foot. I’ve also used like an ace bandage, the pain still has not reduced. Sometimes I get a tingly feeling in my ankle, and it falls asleep a lot. My parents say I just sprained it, but I’m not sure if it’s anything more. I haven’t been to the doctor yet, and am not sure if I should be concerned. Could it just be sprain, or is it possible it’s broken?

Symptoms: Pain, swelling, redness, bruising, weakness.

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is possible that you sustained a severe ankle sprain or a fracture. It is difficult to d etermine this without a physical examination or X ray. We recommend that you have your ankle examined by your doctor. Your x ray may be postponed for a few days until your swelling reduces in order for any fractures to be visualized. Please see your doctor, and continue to use the RICE method to treat the ankle while you await medical evaluation.Thank you for choosing Askthedoctor.com