Wheezing breathing asthma

Patient

Q: My son is year and a half, and is having a wheezing like breathing? it's he getting asthma ?

Symptoms:  Small cough (he's abit sick yet) has wheezing while he breaths (breaths through his mouth mostly)
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Wheezing in an young child like this may be due to the development of asthma but it can likely be due to the development of an upper respiratory tract infection. The best thing to do is to take your child to his pediatrician to be evaluated for a upper respiratory tract infection. If this is the cause of his wheezing, then he may be prescribed antibiotic medication to treat it. If he is not diagnosed with a respiratory tract infection, then further testing needs to be performed to definitively diagnose him with asthma. If diagnosed, he may be prescribed steroidal inhalers to assist in treating his wheezing.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com