Wheezing in 8 year old sun

Patient

Q: Hello here is my situation. I have an 8 year old son who sometimes wheezes and takes albuterol as needed for that. It usually comes when the weather changes cold weather or when he has a common cold. as of right now they have him as having asthma but has not been diagnosed yet. We are in the process of doing that now.This past Monday, he was wheezing and breathing heavy and with some chest pains. He was given his albuterol but he was not getting better so we took him to the ER. He was given prednisone to take for a few days at home along with his albuterol. This morning at 7 o'clock he had his prednisone and albuterol. He just called me from school saying he's wheezing,does he need his albuterol inhaler if there's no short of breath? Its been about 3 hours now since he took his medicine.

Doctor

A:   Hello
Welcome to Ask The Doctor.

You seem to be suffering Bronchial Asthma.
If he has persisting wheezes, he would require the ER again.

I would advise in such scenario:
1. Hemogram with ESR
2. ECG
3. Chest Xray
If the Chest Xray and these blood investigations show no sign of infection then, he would be treated for Bronchial Asthma.
In such scenario, your doctor would prescribe him inhalers containing bronchi dilators like Salbutamol.
He might also require short dose of Steroid inhaler like Budesonide.
Share my opinion with your Doctor before acting upon it.

I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy.