Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > When does the depo shot take effect?

When does the depo shot take effect?

Patient: On 6/19 i went to get my depo shot also it was my ovulation day i had unprotected sex the same day and the next my partner finished in me both days could i be pregnant? 1 faint positive 2negative

Symptoms: Nauseated every now and then back pain

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It takes about 24 hours for the depo shot to be protective against pregnancy once administe red. It is therefore possible for you to become pregnant within this period for this time. Since you have also received a positive pregnancy test, it is possible that you could have been impregnated. We recommend that you got o your doctor and conduct a pregnancy test to be certain of whether you are pregnant or not.Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com