Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > When I cough I lose control of my blatter

When I cough I lose control of my blatter

Patient: I went to the ER yesterday and the doctor said I have a virus and when I cough I pee on myself

Symptoms: Coughing

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is possible that you have contracted a viral upper respiratory tract infection, which is causing your coughing. Excessive coughing can increase the intra-abdominal pressure, which can cause you to accidentally urinate. This is not something that you should concern yourself with, but we would like you to follow your doctors treatment instructions and take any medications as prescribed for the treatment of this cough. Please be guided accordingly.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com