Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > When I drink water, tea etc I realize that sometimes

When I drink water, tea etc I realize that sometimes

Patient: When I drink water, tea etc… I realize that sometimes my nose will run afterwards or it feels like it is running.I noticed that when I start to take a drink of my water, that I am inhaling through my nose as I am drinking. Could I be inhaling water up into my nose? Thank you

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.The windpipe from the nose and the fo od pipe comprising of pharynx, esophagus, e.t.c are both separate.If any food or water accidentally enters the windpipe there will be immediate coughing due to a reflex response from the nerves in the windpipe. So, water can’t enter the nose as you inhale. It is possible that if there is a lot of mucus trapped in the nose or sinuses, sometimes on drinking water or other fluids, some amount of discharge may come out through the nose.Bur even in that case it’s the trapped mucus that comes out and not water.Hope this was helpful,Feel free to discuss further,Regards.