Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > When I lay on my back and push down just

When I lay on my back and push down just

Patient: When I lay on my back and push down just above my belly button I can feel a pulse, is that the sign of a AAA ?! I have high blood pressure and currently taking medication for it, I’m 24

Symptoms: Little pains around the lower stomach that come and go and upper left back pain

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.com. I understand your concern.Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm i s associated with classical signs and symptoms. What you explained, could be due to AAA, however there are no other symptoms suggestive of AAA in your case.In most cases, it is associated with a palpable pulsating mass in the abdomen, abdominal pain, referred pain to chest, lower back or scrotum, and constant feeling of pulsations in the abdomen. All these signs and symptoms are present at the same time, making it easier for diagnosis.Moreover, AAA in most cases happens in makes beyond the age of 40. So, considering your age it is extremely unlikely you have triple A disease. High blood pressure does increase the chances, but not so early.You can get a CT abdomen done for conclusive evidence.Hope this was helpful,Feel free to discuss further,Regards.

Patient: Ok I was just concerned, it’s only when I lay flat on my back and push just above my belly button that I feel the pulse

Doctor: Ideally, you should not feel any pulsations like that even on pressing near your umbilicus. But it can happen in hypertensives. I will still suggest you get a CT abdomen done, which will rule out AAA.
Regards.