Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > When I rub my eyes they itch

When I rub my eyes they itch

Patient: When ever I rub my eyes they start to itch but not before I rub my eyes could this be due to allergies or could it be due to me irritating my eyes

Symptoms: red itchy eyes

Doctor: Itching could be due to dryness of eyes or eyelids. This could be secondary to a fungal infection of the lid margins or dry eyes (due to lack of tears or exposure to dust or wind). In either case, apply some moisturizer or Vaseline around your eyes (external application only) at bed time and instill ‘Tear drops’ 2-3 time a day. Use protective sun glasses while travelling or riding a bike. If you do not observe any improvement with the above measures, visit an eye specialist for opinion.