Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > When I take the 1st dose of hepatitis b vaccine

When I take the 1st dose of hepatitis b vaccine

Patient: When I take the 1st dose of hepatitis b vaccine does it mean I will only be protected for a month only?

Doctor: Thank you for writing to ATD.The Hepatitis B vaccine is made of the HBsAg. This is an antigen that produces immunity to the Hep B virus.You will need 3 doses to get immunity. You need to take all 3 doses of Hep B vaccine to ensure that the person develops immunity to Hep B.Taking just 1 dose may not help you as you may not develop immunity at all. You need to wait for 1 to 4 months after the vaccination to develop immunity.The immunity will be lifelong from then on and you need not worry.Wishing you good health.