When I take the 1st dose of hepatitis b vaccine

Q: When I take the 1st dose of hepatitis b vaccine does it mean I will only be protected for a month only?

A:   Thank you for writing to ATD.

The Hepatitis B vaccine is made of the HBsAg. This is an antigen that produces immunity to the Hep B virus.

You will need 3 doses to get immunity. You need to take all 3 doses of Hep B vaccine to ensure that the person develops immunity to Hep B.

Taking just 1 dose may not help you as you may not develop immunity at all. You need to wait for 1 to 4 months after the vaccination to develop immunity.

The immunity will be lifelong from then on and you need not worry.

Wishing you good health.