Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > When is it safe to have an internal examination when pregnant

When is it safe to have an internal examination when pregnant

Patient: At What Point in Pregnancy is it safe to have a internal examination i had one at 15weeks 3 days was that to early to have one done. after i had it done i had a miscarriage could it have been because of having the internal examination.

Doctor: The bimanual or pelvic examination ie the internal examination is extremely safe and cannot lead to a miscarriage as the examination only evaluates the cervix and not the structures internal to it ie the uterine cavity. I am sorry to hear about the miscarriage which could have been due to many other factors like a defective fetus or a cervical incompetence etc. I wish you all the best in the future.