Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > When should I re-test for pregnancy?

When should I re-test for pregnancy?

Patient: I am 2-3 days late in my period, since yesterday I have been spotting very very lightly pink/brown. I am very tired, breasts are swollen, mild cramping and nauseous. However I took a pregnancy test and it came out negative. Could I still be pregnant, even though the test came out negative?

Symptoms: Sore breasts, mild cramping, late period, light spotting, nauseous.

Doctor: Thank you for your query.Wait for another 2-3 days & recheck with home pregnancy test again to see if you are preg nant. Just based on the symptoms it is difficult to comment whether you are pregnant or not. Premenstrual cycle symptoms & early pregnancy symptoms often overlap. Only with home pregnancy test or blood test for βhCG we can assess if you are pregnant or not. If you are too anxious you can as well opt for blood test for βhCG which is a sensitive assay and can detect hormonal levels even in low concentrations in early pregnancy.Hope that answers your query. Have a good day.