When Should I Start My Pills after Abortion?

Patient : I had an abortion a month ago....how long does it normally take for a woman to start her menstrual cycle again? Can I start my birth control now or do I have to wait for my cycle to start?
Doctor :   Typically menstruation resumes after about 4 to 6 weeks following abortion. Initially, a few cycles may be irregular wit h light flow, but in case of heavy flow you should consult your obstetrician as there may chances of pregnancy related tissues still left in the uterus. I suggest that you wait until you get your first cycle to check for infection or heavy bleeding.  You should also wait for your first cycle before starting on the Seasonique birth control pills because once you start on Seasonique, you won't have your period for the next three months, which is the normal time for the menses to occur when taking these contraceptive pills. Typically menstruation resumes after about 4 to 6 weeks following abortion. Initially, a few cycles may be irregular with light flow, but in case of heavy flow you should consult your obstetrician as there may chances of pregnancy related tissues still left in the uterus. I suggest that you wait until you get your first cycle to check for infection or heavy bleeding.  You should also wait for your first cycle before starting on the Seasonique birth control pills because once you start on Seasonique, you won't have your period for the next three months.