Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > When should I take a home pregnancy test

When should I take a home pregnancy test

Patient: I am having many symptoms of early pregnancy and i was wondering when it would be smart to take a home pregnancy test. I would have only ovulated 5 days ago.

Symptoms: Cramping, tender breasts, fatigue, diarrhea, food cravings, sore back, headaches

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.If your query is for urine based home pregnancy test, then it is most sensitive only a fter 7 days post missed periods. But if you feel that the symptoms are due to pregnancy then you can opt for a blood serum beta hCG test after 7 days of intercourse to check for raised or low hCG levels which can confirm or rule out pregnancy respectively.I hope I have answered your query.Wishing you good health.Regards