When switching birth controls should you take a break between them or just continue taking the pill?

Patient

Q: When switching birth control pills should you take a month off in between or just go straight into the new one? I am currently on Yaz and switching to Tricyclen Lo

Doctor

A:   Oral contraceptive pills are widely used and are generally safe and effective for many women. The choice of pill formulation is generally influenced by clinical considerations. When switinching from Yaz to Tricyclen Lo, you simply start your new pack of Tricyclen pills the next day after you take your last 'inactive' pill of Yaz. If you follow these instructions carefully, you should not have to use a back-up method of birth control. However, if seven days have passed since your last active birth control pill, you will need to use back-up contraception for the first seven days of your new pill's active cycle.