Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > When to See an Orthopedic Surgeon for Knee Injuries

When to See an Orthopedic Surgeon for Knee Injuries

Patient: Hello,I am a 14 year old boy that the other day just hit his knee pretty hard against the side of a wooden table, today I woke up and I could barely walk on it, I can bend my knee all the way till my heel touches my thigh but when walking on it I get pain, so I was wondering if it could be either a very bad swelling or maybe it could be fractured? Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. :]

Doctor: Direct blows to the knee may produce injury of the ligaments, menisci, bones or capsule, but if there is no significant swelling or deformity, and no limitation on the active movements (flexion, extension), a fracture or dislocation can be ruled out. Also if there is no instability or locking a menisci lesion may be ruled out.The suggested strategy for the initial treatment includes: use of local ice, rest, elevation of the leg, anti-inflammatory drugs (as “advil”) and the use of a knee immobilizer. If all these directions are followed, then the normal function should return in few days, but if the pain, swelling and limitation on the movements persist an Orthopedic Surgeon must re-evaluate the injured knee.