When to stop taking prednisolone for the treatment of asthma?

Patient : My 4 year old son was recently given prednisolone for treatment of Asthma cough.I stopped the medication after one and a half days when he seemed alright, but the cough seems to have returned. Could it be because he stopped taking the drugs?
Doctor :   Inhaled steroids are the preferred medication for asthma control and it is important that you do not stop these medicati ons on your own without consulting your child's doctor. Several long-term research studies have shown a fall off in lung function within weeks after inhaled steroids have been stopped. Withholding prednisolone may increase the risk for a future asthma attack and increase the requirement of medicines in the long term.