x
160 Physicians Online

Question:

When to stop taking prednisolone for the treatment of asthma?

My 4 year old son was recently given prednisolone for treatment of Asthma cough.I stopped the medication after one and a half days when he seemed alright, but the cough seems to have returned. Could it be because he stopped taking the drugs?

Answer:

Inhaled steroids are the preferred medication for asthma control and it is important that you do not stop these medications on your own without consulting your child's doctor. Several long-term research studies have shown a fall off in lung function within weeks after inhaled steroids have been stopped. Withholding prednisolone may increase the risk for a future asthma attack and increase the requirement of medicines in the long term.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA