When to stop taking prednisolone for the treatment of asthma?

Patient

Q: My 4 year old son was recently given prednisolone for treatment of Asthma cough.I stopped the medication after one and a half days when he seemed alright, but the cough seems to have returned. Could it be because he stopped taking the drugs?

Doctor

A:   Inhaled steroids are the preferred medication for asthma control and it is important that you do not stop these medications on your own without consulting your child's doctor. Several long-term research studies have shown a fall off in lung function within weeks after inhaled steroids have been stopped. Withholding prednisolone may increase the risk for a future asthma attack and increase the requirement of medicines in the long term.