When will birth control (Cyclen) be effective?

Q: I have been taking Cyclen for 1 month and two weeks. I never missed a day and have taken it at the correct time each day. I know it is never fully effective, but how long until the pill is 99.9% effective and safe to have unprotected sex.

A:   Thank you for your query.
Generally when birth control pill is taken it should be started from day 5 of your menstrual and taken till day 25 of the cycle if it is the 21 pill pack and if it is the 28 pill pack, the remaining 7 pills will be only the reminder pills, with no active medicine. When you start the pill in the first cycle you should use condom or spermicidal pills or gels during intercourse during the first 7 days after the start of pill. Then on if the pill is taken regularly it provides contraception effectively upto 99%. It acts by not allowing ovulation to take place, brings about changes in the mucus which is not suitable for the spermatozoa to travel into the genital tract and also cause changes in the endometrium (uterine wall on which embryo attaches) such that the embryo cannot implant. This is how it works precisely. Therefore after 7 days past your menstrual cycle you can start having unprotected sex if you have started the pill on day 5 of the menstrual cycle.
Hope that answers your query.
Have a good day!