Whenever my heart rate starts going higher during exercise, my

Patient

Q: Whenever my heart rate starts going higher during exercise, my legs start feeling weak and I start getting shaky. I have a history of anxiety, no blood sugar problems, no heart problems as I have been checked out lately. What causes this tremor like legs and eagerness to sit down.

Doctor

Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.com

The fact that your legs are shaky and you feel weak is indicative of low blood sugar levels post exercise or just extreme fatigue. This can happen due to lack of water, or loss of excessive amounts of salt. The heart rate going up is normal phenomena and is unrelated to your symptoms.

I will strongly recommend you drink some energy drink like Gatorade or some other glucose drink before you start working out. And see if the symptoms persist. Even though you do not have sugar problems, sugar may go very low post exercise. An energy drink will prevent that. I also want you to repeat your hemoglobin and let me know.

Hope this was helpful,
Please feel free to discuss further,
Regards.

Patient: I honestly only walked up a few smalls hills not that fast and it still starts shaking and I feel like something is going to happen. Even if I do the most minescule workout I amost feel fatigued
Doctor: Hello,
In that case you need to get your hemoglobin levels checked.
Also, your BP needs to be monitored for hypotension.
I will recommend a few days rest. Since heart problems has been ruled out, it does not seem to be anything major. You can still go ahead and get an 2D ECHO done to confirm.

Regards.