Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Where should I start?

Where should I start?

Patient: When I’m standing, I’m “ok”, but when I even try to sit down, I have a horrible pain in the middle of my lower back and it shoots to various places in my right leg. I know I need a doctor, but I don’t know where to start. Should I start with the family doctor, chiropractor or a specialized doctor?

Symptoms: Lower back pain

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Your lower back pain when sitting could be due to strain of the lower back muscles, or a he rniated intervertebral disc. The best place to start is with your family doctor. They will perform a full examination of your back and have x rays performed to assist in elucidating the cause of your lower back pain. Once this is determined, treatment with medication for your pain and perhaps physiotherapy will be prescribed. If your lower back pain is caused by disc herniation you may need to be referred to an orthopedic surgeon for further evaluation.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com