Where should I start?


Q: When I'm standing, I'm "ok", but when I even try to sit down, I have a horrible pain in the middle of my lower back and it shoots to various places in my right leg. I know I need a doctor, but I don't know where to start. Should I start with the family doctor, chiropractor or a specialized doctor?

Symptoms:  Lower back pain

A:   Thank you for your question. Your lower back pain when sitting could be due to strain of the lower back muscles, or a herniated intervertebral disc. The best place to start is with your family doctor. They will perform a full examination of your back and have x rays performed to assist in elucidating the cause of your lower back pain. Once this is determined, treatment with medication for your pain and perhaps physiotherapy will be prescribed. If your lower back pain is caused by disc herniation you may need to be referred to an orthopedic surgeon for further evaluation.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com

Related Q&A

Q: Chronic lower back pain a right shoulder stuffiness

Q: I had an MRI for some back problems but it came back with this: "Small 1.3 cm lesion in the prepontine cistern, ...

Q: Recent MRI was given to me without results. I have to wait until later in the week to get them.

Q: 23 y.o. female had lower right back pain for about 1 year following a burning pain from bending over (I thought it wa...

Q: Hello, I'm Adriana, I just received MRI results of my brain, I'm 40 yrs old, suffer from migraines, tension headaches...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon