Which depression meds?

Patient

Q: Greetings,
I currently take 40mg Citalopram everyday for depression. I have been on it for 3 years. I am beginning to notice it isn't as affective. What medication comes next?

Symptoms:  Lower mood, depressed
Doctor

A:   Hello
Thanks for using "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query.

You may consider other options like venlafaxine or desvenlafaxine or mirtazapine or fluoxetine. These medicines don't have any fixed order and the prescription depends on your symptom profile and the possibility of side -effects.
Do meet your Doctor and discuss the above-mentioned options and get yourself prescribed the drug that suits you the best.

Hope this helps.
Wish you a good health.