Which prescription for vitamin D 50,000 is better,D3 or D2?

Q: My health provider wrote an rx for vitamin d2 50,000 iu. I think this should have been for vitamin d3 50,000 iu. which is better, and since I already paid for my rx of Vit D2, will it work?

Symptoms:  Low vitamin d levels

Thanks for choosing "Ask the Doctor".

Vitamin D is available in 2 supplement forms:vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol) and vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol).
D3 is the form that is produced in our skin when we are exposed to sunlight. Traditionally, D3 supplements have been non-vegan, usually produced from lanolin (a product of sheep’s wool). D2 (ergocalciferol) is the synthetic form of vitamin D. Hence, many physicians prefer prescribing Vit.D2.
However, now even Vegan D3 is available.
Although the comparative efficacy of D2 and D3 is controversial. Some researches have proven that D3 is more potent than D2. However, now that you have already bought it you can take vit D2. It will definitely give you some benefit. You can discuss with your doctor next time before getting the prescription. Meanwhile, you can continue taking D2 as has been prescribed for you.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

Wish you good health!