Whiplash Injury Treatment

Patient

Q: Whiplash.. I recently fell and hit my head and now my neck has cronic pain. The top of my neck on the left side of my spine is extremely sensitive to the touch and causes headaches and electrical surges to the top of my head. Who should I see about this? I had xrays done that showed normal. should I go to the emergency room?

Doctor

A:   The whiplash injury (cervical acceleration-deceleration) is one of the most common cause of cervical strain and also one of the most common sequels of nonfatal car injuries, and the severity of the trauma often is not correlated with the seriousness of the initial injury. A history of neck injury is a significant risk factor for chronic neck pain. Other complications besides the pain include:  spinal cord compression, strains or tears of the anterior spinal ligaments, shoulder pain, muscular weakness of the arms. In the view that your  imaging studies (X rays) have come out negative, if your symptoms persist it might be useful to get an appointment with a specialist in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (Physiatrist) that evaluate you and may be perform an electromyography to rule out a possible nerve-muscle problem consequence of the same issue.