White bits in stool?

Q: I have white bites in my stool. That is the poop i just had, it has little whiteish bits through out it?
Two days ago i took an enema and there were those through out the stool and also floating in the water and they looked whiter even still, I had noticed white bits previously but hadn't seen them again till now? Should i be concerned or go to a doctor? I've also had quite a bit of left side pain under my ribs, always seem to be constipated or have diarrhea and often have issues with heart burn. They don't seem to be consistent in size and the ones i saw floating after the enema seemed to have jagged edges. Any advice?

Symptoms:  white bits in stool, left side pain below ribs, constipation and diarrhea often
White bits in stool?-1

A:   Thank you for your question. It appears as though the findings within your stool could be undigested fight. Having said that, what concerns us the most is the left sided pain you are experiencing under the ribs. This is an area in which the pancreas is present. In acute and chronic pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas), one may not be able to adequately digest fat within our diet due to the decreased production of enzymes that digest fat from pancreas. We would like you to go to your doctor to be examined and evaluated for pancreatitis. This is just to ere on the side of caution and rule out any serious illness which can be life threatening.
A less serious cause of these findings, is simple due to mucus an the fact that you have recently had an enema. This causes minor irritation to the colon and rectum which can cause excessive production of mucus which is voided during a bowel movement. Please see your doctor for further evaluation.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com